CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Thursday, December 15, 2011

Christmas Traditions

Every family has their own set of traditions for the holidays...these are mine.

Christmas Eve:
Growing up we went to the children's Christmas Eve service until we grew out of that and then we would go to the midnight service. The midnight service was my favorite because at the end we all lit candles, they turned out all of the lights, and we sang "Silent Night". It was the most magical and best way to bring in Christmas and the birth of Jesus. We've moved around a lot these past few years so we haven't  had a set church in awhile. This year however, since my parents moved back to their home town we will be going to the church my dad grew up in!
Then we went home, had ham biscuits for dinner, and opened the presents from each other

Christmas Day:
We've never had a "set" routine for Christmas Day. The biggest tradition is that my sister and I always sleep in the same bed Christmas Eve night. I believe this started when she was around 6 and "Santa" ended up bringing her bunk beds in her room so my parents convinced us to sleep in the same bed that night. Then it kind of just stuck! My sister and I would stay up late under the covers with flashlights playing cards until we fell asleep. Now we just wake up whenever and are lazy. We usually cook a big breakfast and now that my sister and I are older my mother fixes Poinsettias for us to drink (Cranberry juice and champagne).

Random Traditions:
  • We make sausage balls EVERY Christmas. To use it isn't Christmas until we have these.
  • My aunt used to always make my dad Martha Washington balls for Christmas. Since her passing I have taken over that tradition and have to have these every year.
  • Cokes in a glass bottle...enough said!
  • The It's a Wonderful Life village has to be put up before it is "officially" Christmas
This Christmas is going to be a little different from all of our others. My parents moved back to North Carolina so my sister and I will be travelling up there with our three dogs to spend Christmas with them. The thing I'm looking the most forward to is spending Christmas with my grandfather and great aunt. I can't remember the last time that I got to spend Christmas with them.

So there are some of our family traditions. What are some of yours?


0 comments:

Post a Comment